Investigator Week: Behind the scenes with our undercover investigators
For more than three decades, EIA’s pioneering undercover investigations have been a unique hallmark of our work.
Using false identities and front companies, our brave and dedicated investigators have been able to successfully pass themselves off to criminals as anything from traffickers in poached ivory to traders in illegal timber – all while documenting critical evidence on hidden recording devices.
Now, for the first time, we can offer you a glimpse behind the scenes to get an idea of just what it’s like to work in such stressful and potentially dangerous situations.
Investigator Week will feature a series of short filmed interviews on key topics, as well as first-hand accounts of working undercover.
Bookmark this page for new updates daily – and the chance to ask questions of your own, which you can send to us via email@example.com by 4pm GMT on Thursday, January 11.
• ‘Means to an end – a brief history of EIA’s undercover investigations’ – read it here
• ‘The stress of living a double life’ – read it here
• ‘What was your scariest moment when working undercover?’ – read it here
• ‘Working with intelligence – sifting through the data to find the leads’ – read it here
• ‘That special ‘Eureka’ moment when it all falls into place’ – read it here
In a series of brief video interviews, one of our senior investigators talks about the pressures and potential pitfalls of working undercover: