Position: Forest Campaigner
Reporting to: Senior Forest Campaigner
Based in: London
Starting date: asap
Salary: £35,000 (based on experience)
Application closing date: 31/07/2020
About the role
This is a full-time position in EIA’s Forests Team. Working closely with the Forests Team Leader and Senior Forest Campaigner, this role will focus on investigating and campaigning against the trade in illegal timber from South-East Asia into major timber markets, in particular the EU, UK and US.
Main purpose of position
The Forest Campaigner will play a major role in the EIA Forest Campaign’s advocacy on the trade in illegal timber from South-East Asia to demand side markets including the EU and US. Experience in this sector and knowledge of East Asia and European markets helpful will be an advantage. Knowledge of international processes such as the EU Forest Law Enforcement Governance and Trade (FLEGT) initiative, which EIA supports in East Asia and the European Union Timber Regulation (EUTR) is an advantage. Ability to work with laws related to forest governance and the timber trade, and identify associated breaches of laws and advocate for reform, is essential.
- Conduct desk-based investigations and research on breaches of the European Union Timber Regulation and Lacey Act.
- Write and submit substantiated concerns against companies and individuals violating timber import laws, and support enforcement officials in enforcement actions related to imports of timber from South-East Asia.
- Monitor EUTR enforcement.
- Assist in law reform processes related to timber issues in Europe and South-East Asia.
- Contribute to building and sustaining a network of contacts in key countries and institutions.
- Participate in lobbying, research and investigative activities with senior staff as required.
- Assist in the planning, writing and production of reports, briefings and other communications materials for external audiences as required.
- Communicate with EIA’s foreign partner organisations as directed
- Assist in campaign administration as required
- Assist in fundraising activities as directed
- Assist in both internal and external report and briefing writing and production, as required by the Forests Campaign
- Work-related travel to East Asia, Europe and possibly other parts of the world may be required
- Maintaining up-to-date Forests Campaign contacts databases and administering dissemination of targeted communications materials
- Representing EIA’s Forests Campaign at external meetings and events where required and as directed.
- Assist in campaign-related research as directed.
Skills and Experience
- Very strong writing ability, including ability to write reports and formal complaints to enforcement authorities.
- Experience in making use of desk-based investigative tools such as freedom of information laws and trade databases.
- Experience working with laws related to forest governance in both demand-side (Europe, US) and producer countries in South-East Asia.
- Experience analysing complex social, political, economic and environmental parameters in ways that inform EIA’s work and communications.
- Experience working with technical inputs related to the timber sector
- Experience working with different cultures and languages
- Experience conducting detailed targeted research projects and tasks
- Strong interpersonal, communication and time management skills
- An ability to work independently but also as a team member
- Ability to travel at short notice, including to potentially challenging environments.
- Experience working under pressure.
- Fully proficient in Windows applications such as Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Knowledge of global forestry and governance issues.
- Understanding of South-East and East Asia society and politics.
- Understanding of European political and administrative systems.
- Minimum two years’ experience in environmental campaigning.
- Minimum Masters level degree in environmental law.
- Experience working with demand-side forest laws such as the European Union Timber Regulation and Lacey Act.
- Experience working on forest governance in Myanmar or Indonesia.
- Experience working with European law enforcement.
- Understanding and experience of international forest policy initiatives surrounding environmental and climate issues pertaining to forests.
How to apply
- Download and complete the job application and monitoring forms below
- Email the completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org