Position: Legal and Policy Specialist (Ocean)
Reporting to: Ocean Campaign Leader
Based in: London Office (hybrid working negotiable)
Starting date: ~December 2022
Salary: £38,000 – £42,000 depending on experience
Application closing date: 11/12/2022
About the role
The Ocean Campaign seeks an improvement in the status of marine ecosystems and wildlife by reducing threats posed by marine plastic pollution, commercial fishing gear and the commercial exploitation of whales, dolphins and porpoises. This role will be working in our global plastics policy team supporting efforts to secure a legally binding treaty on plastic pollution alongside other complimentary policy measures at the national, regional and international level.
The Legal and Policy Specialist will be line managed by the Ocean Campaign Leader and will work in cooperation with relevant members of staff in all Departments to fulfil the responsibilities below.
The role is based in London, but we are open to considering candidates based in the EU.
Strategic Planning, Monitoring & Evaluation
- Support the implementation of EIA’s oceans campaign strategy, with a particular focus on regional (EU) and international plastics policy
- Contribute to the production of the annual ocean campaign strategy and participate in EIA’s long-term strategic planning process
- Contribute to the campaign’s monitoring and evaluation
- Horizon scanning for opportunities for strategic policy and / or legal interventions on priority campaign issues
- Keeping abreast of ongoing advances in the plastics litigation and legislative space.
Research, Publications & Campaigning
- Carry out detailed research into legal, policy and technical aspects of the campaign
- Prepare legal analyses and other relevant legal and policy strategy documents
- Assist in the production of high-quality campaign materials, such as reports, briefings and videos
- Attend relevant UK and international meetings and represent the campaign to a range of contacts, such as politicians, civil society, industry and the media
- Organising, coordinating and participating in meetings and events with external partners to further campaign objectives
- Assist in the development of media, online content, webinars and other informational materials
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with external contacts.
- Monitor and share media and other communications of campaign interest with other staff
- Ensure contact lists are kept up to date and available to the team
- Ensure all campaign paperwork and files are organised and accessible
- Participate in weekly team-meetings and relevant cross-organisational meetings
- Assist with responding to public enquiries
- Produce back to office reports according to the agreed template
- Write up notes from meetings and circulate to the rest of the team.
Financial Planning & Budget Management
- Produce budgets for all project-related activities prior to expenditure
- Complete reconciliations, accurately reporting expenditure incurred during trips.
- Assist the Campaign Leader and Fundraising Department with campaign fundraising, including the production of reports and proposals for donors as requested.
Human Resource Management
- No line management responsibilities, but the Legal and Policy Specialist may supervise allocation of tasks for volunteers and review outputs.
How to apply
- Download and read the full job description and person specification below
- Download and complete the job application and monitoring forms below
- Email the completed forms to email@example.com