Position: Forests Campaigner – Law and Policy
Reporting to: Forests Campaign Leader
Based in: London Office
Starting date: ~ January 2022
Salary: £35,000 – £37,000 depending on experience
Application closing date: 31 December 2021
About the role
As part of a dynamic team of people you will help implement EIA’s Forests campaign goals and when relevant, field investigations. This role will involve providing legal analysis to support the forests team’s objectives, including the application of laws applying to financial institutions such as sanctions law as well as corporate due diligence laws. The role will also involve sustaining EIA’s relationships with partners and allies internationally as well as helping to formulate and plan ongoing campaign goals together with EIA’s experienced UK-based forest team.
Assist in campaign related research as directed and participate in both desk-based and field-based investigative activities with experienced staff, as required.
- Provide expert support in relation to legal issues that affect the forests team’s work, including the application of sanctions law to the timber trade, the application of laws governing timber harvesting and the timber trade, and due diligence regulations applied to forest-risk commodities
- Identify campaigning opportunities related to emerging regulations related to forest-risk commodities and laws covering financial flows such as sanctions law
- Assist in monitoring illegal timber flows within producer countries and to consumer markets
- Identify investigative opportunities in line with the Forest campaign strategy
- Liaise, collaborate and communicate constructively with partners on the ground.
- Collate, analyse and manage documented research or investigative findings for use in achieving defined campaign strategies
- Assist in both internal and external report and briefing writing and production as required
- Represent EIA and its forest campaign to external audiences, as required by senior team members.
- Contribute to the production of annual campaign strategies for EIA Forest Campaign
- Advise EIA campaigners of strategic investigative or advocacy opportunities
- Contribute to EIA’s Long Term Strategic Planning.
How to apply
- Download and read the full job description and person specification below
- Download and complete the job application and monitoring forms below
- Email the completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org